I have today added another 18 items to the Memorabilia Gallery, which now contains 66 items (newspaper clippings, letters, items from Noel & Lily White’s personal collection of memorabilia, examples of the children’s schoolwork, art prints and official documents). The items I have added today are:
- Letter from Stephen Wallace, Director of Primary Education, to Noel White on his retirement in December 1965.
- Black and white print of A Mystery – Stalking a Shark by Claude Kelly. Illustration in Little Black Fingers by Florence Rutter. Mary Durack-Miller Collection, The J.S. Battye Library of West Australian History.
- List of the Carrolup artist pastels at the Boans Exhibition organised by the W.A. Native Welfare Council (inc.) in April 1957.
- First page of letter from Revel Cooper to Mrs Doreen Trainor, 6th November 1956. Doreen Trainor Collection (A342A), The J.S. Battye Library of West Australian History.
- Mrs Florence Rutter’s Obituary in The West Australian written by her beloved friend Mary Durack Miller. Mary Durack Miller Collection, The J.S. Battye Library of West Australian History.
- Letter from Gordon Worner, Senior Inspector of Schools, to Parnell Dempster, 1st August 1950. Noel & Lily White Collection.
- Gloucester Echo photograph of Mrs Rutter showing the Carrolup art in Cheltenham in January 1951. Mary Durack-Miller Collection, The J.S. Battye Library of West Australian History.
- A page by Phillip Jackson from a book of ‘pleasant memories’ given to School Inspector Charlie Cook by ‘The Boys of Carrolup’, 1950. Noel & Lily White Collection.
- Piano stool cushion-cover made by the children at Carrolup. Noel & Lily White Collection, Berndt Museum of Anthropology, The University of Western Australia.
- Reynold Hart sketching a kangaroo, Sunday Times, 13th August 1950. Noel & Lily White Collection.
- The Footballing Boys of Carrolup, The Daily News, 24th September 1949. Noel & Lily Collection.
- Reynold Hart’s Moonlight shown in the News, Adelaide of 8th January 1951. Noel & Lily White Collection.
- An article about the Aboriginal child artists of Carrolup in Teachers World and Schoolmistress, 7th February 1951. Noel & Lily White Collection.
- Reproduction of a Carrolup drawing which appeared in the first edition of Movement. Noel & Lily White Collection.
- Letter from John Cleland to Noel White, dated 10th September 1948, is in the Noel & Lily White Collection.
- More success for Parnell Dempster, as revealed in The West Australian of the 18th October 1950. Noel & Lily White Collection.
- A letter of appreciation from Emily E Moore in Florence Rutter’s ‘Notebook of Appreciation’ to Noel & Lily White for their work with the Aboriginal children of Carrolup. Noel & Lily White Collection.
- A page from Revel Cooper’s reflections on Carrolup, including words of appreciation of teacher Noel White, written in Fremantle Prison in 1960. Mary Durack Miller Collection, Battye Library.
I’ve also added two photographs to the photos gallery, one of Baby Noel White’s grave in Katanning (which Noelene White asked to be shown) and the other of Noel, Lily, Jenny and Ross White leaving for the 1949 Katanning Show (photo taken by Noelene).
I hope you enjoy.